Caption: Liam Halligan
Photographer: Toshi Sakauchi
- First Name(s)
- Address 1
- 23 Sitric Road
- Address 2
- Arbour Hill
- Address 3
- Dublin 7
- Republic of Ireland
- +353 (0)1 633 4412
- +353 (0)87 951 7077
- Job Type
- Job Type
- Job Type
- Dramaturg/Script Editor
I am a freelance theatre director and theatre maker. I am a very experienced performer and a part-time Acting Tutor with the Gaiety School of Acting. I facilitate acting and directing workshops.
- Eye Colour
- Hair Colour
- Grey, ginger
- 5' 11"
- Minimum Playing Age
- Maximum Playing Age
- Native Dublin, all Irish accents, most English accents, very good RP. I have a good ear and can pick up most accents, except Welsh and South African!
- Music/Dance Skills
- Have some contemporary dance experience i.e. contact improvisation and Butoh. Untrained tenor voice.
- Sporting Skills
- Rowing, swimming, cycling, horse riding. I have a clean driving licence.
Recent work includes
Artist in Residence in Draiocht Blanchardstown 2012.
'Toxic' by Michelle Reid at Project Dublin. GSA Grad Play. June 2011. Sell out run.
'Holy Mary' by Eoin Colfer at Bewleys, Kilkenny Arts Fest and tour. Aug to Dec 2011 (Arts Council Touring Grant)
'Unalloyed enjoyment' Irish Times 'A great testomy to the power of live theatre' ITM
'Trash' a work in progress presentation at the Backloft with performer Claudia Schwartz and cellist Claire Fitch. May 2011.
'Last Year' by Gavin Kostick a Show-in-a-Bag for Fishamble and Dublin Fringe Fest 2011. 'Truly moving' Irish Times
'When the Hunter Returns' by Lally Katz at the Project Arts Centre for GSA graduation production June 09. 'A beautiful imagistic production.' The Irish Times.
'A Midsummer Night's Dream', co-direced with Lawrence Evans for Storytellers/Irish Chamber Orchestra at NCH Dublin, Curtis Auditorium Cork and University Concert Hall Limerick integrating Mendelssohn's incidental music. Oct 08 ' A bewitching and bequiling night's theatre. A Magical experience. Remarkably inventive production.' Irish Examiner
Tenderfoot programme at Civic Theatre mentoring and directing new plays written and performed by transition year students since 2008;
Adapted and directed 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James for Storytellers May 08. 'A Fine production stunning in it's simplicity... gorgeously reproduced.' Sunday Business Post.
Acting work includes; The Abbey Theatre, Lyric Belfast, Cheek By Jowl, Oxford Stage Company, Birmingham Rep, The Young Vic, The Lyric Hammersmith, Greenwich Theatre, Gate Notting Hill, Leicester Haytmarket and many more. I performed with the Torifune Butoh Sha Company in 2004 at Samuel Becket Centre.
Adapted 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James and 'The Dream of a Summer Day' based on the life of Lafcadio Hearn (Storytellers); Worked with Helina Enright on her verbatim piece 'Less Than a Year' for Island Theatre Co
Films roles includes Ronny in Cathal Black's 'Pigs', Peter Dubois in Kevin Reynolds' 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' and John Fleming in Pat Murphy's 'Anne Devlin'.
Numerous TV Dramas in the past for RTE.
I work occasionally on radio, mainly reading short stories.
- Professional Interests/Special Skills
- Particular interest in Physical Theatre e.g. Contact Improvisation, Artaud and Butoh related skills.
Horse riding, swimming, cycling
- Four Years at the Stanislavski Studio in the Focus Theatre with Deirdre O' Connell and Mary Elizabeth Burke-Kennedy (mid/late 1970's), private voice work with Michael MaCallion (The Voice Book) and numerous workshops at the Actors Centre in London. Worked with particularly inspired directors like Lindsay Anderson, Declan Donnellan (Cheek By Jowl), Phyllida Lloyd (National Theatre/ 'Mama Mia'), James MacDonald (Royal Court), Annie Castledine (Theatre de Complicite).
Worked with Lars Oyno, from Oslo, on his Artaud based techniques and with Oyvind Jorgensen, also from Oslo, on his Butoh related work.
- 'Most Promising Young Actor' 1979
2 Best Director Nominations for an Irish Times Theatre Award for 'Speaking in Tongues' (Quare Hawks) and 'Rashomon' (Storytellers).
- Basic Leaving Cert Irish
- Other Information
- Full driver's licence
- External Links
- Last Modified
- 11 Jan 2012
- Image 1
- When the Hunter Returns
- James Kelly
- Toshi Sakauchi
- Image 2
- The Dream of a Summer Day
- Conan Sweeny, Aoife Malony
- Ros Kavanagh
- Image 3
- A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Carrie Crowley, Brian Bennett
- Senija Popcic
- Image 4
- The Turn of The Screw
- Ruth McGill, Helen Delaney
- Toshi Sakauchi
- Image 5
- Night Shift GSA Graduation
- Aidan Turner, Paul Reid
- Kristen Marken